So one of the most common questions is what equipment do I need?
Well there are over 70 supported devices now for the AREDN firmware.
Scroll down for the latest AREDN matrix page.
In order to try and provide a common set of parameters on which I plan to try and grow the base network. Here are the requirements for joining the current batch of nodes.
- 5Ghz Band
- Channel 136
- 10Mhz Bandwidth
I use the UBIQUITI equipment, but any of the manufactures will work as long as it’s in the 5Ghz Band and the channel and bandwidth are set to the same. Of course, if you want to use other bands, these can be used to create your own island of nodes, and then they can be linked into the bigger network either with a 5Ghz Node or via a tunnel over the internet. (However, if the internet went down you would be disconnected from the rest of the network)
Supported Platform Matrix
The supported platform matrix identifies the make and models of hardware which may be used with AREDN firmware in the various frequency bands. The equipment marked with a green background is fully supported and tested. Models with a red background are NOT supported nor are they compatible with AREDN firmware. The orange background indicates equipment that is likely to work well, but has not yet been thoroughly tested. Equipment with a yellow background is in the research stage and may or may not achieve fully-supported status depending on test results.
In the table below, if the model is a link (BOLD TEXT), we've linked those to Amazon for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate AREDN, Inc. earns from qualifying purchases.
|Current As of AREDN™ 184.108.40.206 (updated on 12/02/2019)|
|LHG (Lite Head Grid)||RBLHG-2nD**||RBLHG-5nD|
|hAP AC Lite (dual band)||RB952Ui-5ac2nD||RB952Ui-5ac2nD
(AP only, no mesh)
|LDF (Lite Dish Feed)||RBLDF-2nD**||RBLDF-5nD|
|Ubiquiti Networks (www.ubnt.com)|
|AirGrid (XM revision/old)||M2||M5|
|NanoStation Loco (XM)||M9||M2||M5|
|NanoStation Loco (XW)||M2||M5|
|Rocket Titanium (TI)||M2**||M5**|
|Rocket Titanium (XW) (4)||M5|
|CPE220 (v2.0 and v3.0)||CPE220|
|GREEN = "GO"||AREDN Stable|
|GREEN = "MAYBE"||AREDN Stable, but, NOT recommended for new deployments. (Low memory or non-MIMO device)|
|RED="STOP"||Unknown or Support to be determined|
|ORANGE="CAUTION"||High Confidence of compatibility. Included in current release, but not rigorously tested|
|GREY="N/A"||No such device|
|**||Release candidate (or Nightly build) firmware available|
- Regarding XW hardware revisions:
- The hardware Revision is best determined by logging into AirOS and inspecting the version information, e.g. XW.v5.6.12 would indicate the hardware Revision is an 'XW' model.
XM and XW hardware Revisions are Ubiqiuti models that use different chipsets. Firmware is compiled uniquely for each chipset family and only compatible on the respective chipset family ( https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros ):
XM: Qualcomm-Atheros AR92xx
XW: Qualcomm-Atheros AR93xx
- Regarding YELLOW devices:
- Any device/model indicated in YELLOW, is being researched by the AREDN development team. This research does not guarantee, nor, directly imply, that these devices will be included in a future release of AREDN. These devices may transition to a RED state at any time, if defects/issues are found.
- Pertinent information about these may be noted here: https://www.arednmesh.org/content/nightly-builds
- PowerBeam devices physically have model #s of "NBE-xx-yyy" printed on them, however, they are marketed as "PBE-xx-yyy".
- Rocket Titanium devices come with and without a GPS. The GPS function on the GPS models is not supported, but, the device itself is.
- M365 models are NOT the same as M3 model. M365 devices are not supported.
- Nanostation2 and Bullet2 are NOT the same as Nanostation M2 and Bullet M2. The Nanostation2 and Bullet2 are NOT supported.
- The Mikrotik hAP AC Lite meshes with the 2.4 GHz radio only. The 5.8 GHz radio may be used for a local access point.
- For devices that support "USB passthru", this is for *power passthru only*. There is no ability to read/write files from a USB drive.